Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Easy Soup

Yes-I can cook, but do I cook a lot-No. Yesterday it snowed all day and still is. I didn't have any errands that I needed to get done right then so I didn't go anywhere.I got the house cleaned and things put back under the house and laundry done. I really must have been feeling good to get all that done in one day. I had wanted to try making a crock pot beef stew but that would have required leaving the house and that just wasn't going to happen. I pulled out a few cookbooks and found a potato soup recipe that I already had all the ingredients for. I got it out of a family cookbook and I must now share it with everyone. If you need something quick and warm this is it.

Potato Soup

6 cups of cubed potatoes

1 finely diced onion

Put in large pot and cover with water. Cook until potatoes are still slightly firm. Dump off half the water.

Add one 12 oz can of evaporated milk and 3 tablespoons of butter. Salt and pepper to taste.

I also added a little corn starch to help thicken the broth. I had some celery in the fridge and added some of that too. I let it just barely start to boil and then had it sit on the stove on Low till Clint was done snow blowing and was ready for warm soup. It was so good!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum...potatoes...seriously been loving those lately. Weird. Sounds delicious!

Amy J said...

MMMM...sounds good. I'll have to try that one. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Hey, I tried this recipe (it's the same as my mom's) last week and when it was too watery (my bad), I added potato flakes to thicken it up. It was delicious! I made it for a friend but I uh, had to test it several times for quality control.