Thursday, March 4, 2010

7 months

I can't believe I am already 7 months pregnant. I'm so glad that I am working, it makes the time go by fast and then I'm not sitting home thinking about how miserable I feel. The distraction is really great. Though working does make the tingling in my hand worse, just your typical carpal tunnel, typing and writing makes it all worse.
Despite my diet restrictions and exercise I have been unable to get the morning sugars under control. They have just slowly kept creeping up. I was put on a very low dose of medication a little over a week ago. For about two days it worked great but then they started creeping up again. I am now on double the dose, still a low dose though, and waiting to see how that works out. Taking the medication is not bad it's just the effects of it that suck. I wake up in the morning and first thing I do is take my medication. After I eat breakfast I don't even need to poke my finger to know if my sugar is high, I can tell it is high by the fatigue and nausea. Then a few hours after I have taken the medication I again feel crappy, this time fatigued and shaky because my sugar has dropped low. Oh the wonderful balancing act of blood sugar. My OB says I need to increase my protein intake. I'm trying, so any suggestions would help...besides the usual eat meat ones. I need protein ideas for breakfast and the snack before lunch. My sugars run great the rest of the day after I get through the morning and the drop. I'm surviving all of this though. I just have to remember that a lot of people have it a lot worse than me and I'm really lucky that I work right here with my OB and can get answers all the time and be closely watched. The positive side to all of this...with my mom's history of having big babies and my gestational diabetes there is no way that they will let me go long. That is just fine with me!!!
When Dr. Anderson first started me on medication he had me get my Hemoglobin A1c drawn. That came back perfectly normal. When I got poked Ryann started really kicking and moving. It was cool to feel her react to something that was happening to me. I can definitely tell pregnancy has changed me because just having one tube of blood drawn I could feel the color going out of my face and it feeling hot. Good thing that was all they needed, I probably would have passed out if they needed more. This is not a usual response for me and hopefully goes away with the birth of the baby...along with the gestational diabetes and carpal tunnel syndrome.
Ryann's kicks and movements are finally getting strong enough to actually see them, though she is a pretty mellow baby and doesn't do them a whole lot. It's all fine with me, and I hope it continues to when she is born. She has only kicked me twice in the ribs. She tends to enjoy kicking downwards on my bladder more. I think I prefer this since it really hurt getting that kick in the ribs.
Ryann's room is done in the aspect of all the large pieces are in. We moved our dresser out of our closet and into Ryann's room, she is all set now. Her room is now a complete mess with me trying to sort through all the baby cloths I have gotten so far and getting them sorted by size. I'm glad we got so much done early on so that I can just slowly do the rest of the little things.
Pictures of the room to come later, once I take them.

3 comments:

Kandice said...

I know I feel a lot better when I do lots of protein. There are lots of cereals with a ton in it. If you like Jerky to snack on, it has around 11 grams or protein. There are also protein waters-which are yucky to me at least. Another one is Carnation instant breakfast in milk. You would have to get sugar free, but it would be a great source.
I can't wait to meet her!
I would love to help with a baby shower...If Jeanne is in charge let her know I would be happy to help!

Unknown said...

Steel-cut oats instead of rolled oats for breakfast--have a lot more protein. Wheat chex. Of course eggs--scrambled, omelets with tomatoes, spinach. (Did you know spinach is a good source of protein!?) I like an egg, ham, and cheese sandwich on a toasted whole wheat bagel. Now there is a protein packed breakfast. Don't forget cottage cheese and yogurt too. Good luck!

Melissa said...

wow-7 months!! very exciting! sorry you have to deal with the diabetes-any talk then of when they'll induce (that's the plan I'm guessing to avoid a giant Ryann? :) I have nothing else to add for protein ideas than what's already been said.